A reversed Sator Square, also known as a Rotas Square.
The Sator Square, ancestor of crosswords, is a famous word square in Latin. It is a word square containing a Latin palindrome featuring the words SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS written in a square so that they may be read top-to-bottom, bottom-to-top, left-to-right, and right-to-left.
The Sator-Rotas Square (or Templar Magic Square), with the embedded anagram of Pater Noster, is an ancient charm of great power and mystery. The earliest example was discovered scratched on a wall in the buried city of Pompeii and dated back to the first century AD. Although used by early Christian Mystics as a magical charm the square has surfaced in cultures and religions all over the world. Because of the hidden anagram, Pater Noster, the square was originally thought to be of Christian design, but there is now strong evidence that it predates Christianity by a considerable margin and refers to the ancient God, Mithras.
In Rome during the Middle Ages this square was inscribed on a variety of common, everyday objects such as utensils and drinking vessels. It was also found above doorways. It was believed that the square had magical properties, and that making it visible would ward off evil spirits. The words on this square roughly translate to “The Creator (or Savior) holds the working of the spheres in his hands.” C. W. Ceram read the square boustrophedon (in alternating directions), with tenet repeated. This produces Sator opera tenet; tenet opera sator, translated: ‘The Great Sower holds in his hand all works; all works the Great Sower holds in his hand.’ (Ceram 1958, p. 30)
You might find a Sator Square inscribed inside a drawer in the Macduff residence.
- himekoyagami reblogged this from acidritalin
- acidritalin reblogged this from behindawhitemask
- tender-lumpling likes this
- antovino likes this
- imi-no-hoshi reblogged this from yurinforit
- tomano likes this
- caffeinatedbirdofrecklessness likes this
- yurinforit reblogged this from behindawhitemask
- the-life-in-the-coffin likes this
- stay-foolish reblogged this from behindawhitemask
- just-call-me-bri likes this
- winter-springs likes this
- donkeyowetea likes this
- sammyklayman reblogged this from behindawhitemask
- akajakeedwardmarks likes this
- thebloodybusiness likes this
- tomanderleyagain reblogged this from thebloodybusiness and added:
- thebloodybusiness reblogged this from behindawhitemask and added:
- takeoversinspats likes this
- eti1 likes this
- behindawhitemask posted this